Sunday 31 January 2010

James's Post Game Interview

Stolen directly from my post on the Breakaway forum:

After the 2 - 0 victory of the Blues over the Reds in the first of the tournament games a small couple of reporters from the local newspaper waited outside to meet the players. Thomas James was one of those players.

Reporter - James! Would you like to put in a word for the local newspaper?

James - Sure, why not, go ahead.

Reporter - Thank you dear, first question: how did you feel about your performance tonight?

(Being called "dear" is okay because it's a woman reporter... she's also a blonde, with a cute understudy who didn't say much but I'm pretty sure she wanted me)

James - Well obviously I was pleased with the win, especially with a shut out, that's obviously good from a D's point of view. You can always play better I suppose but I did get a couple of shots on goal and kept the other guys out of our end so I'm still optimistic, just looking forward to converting those shots into those all important goals. Hopefully I can show the teams that will be looking to pick me up something impressive before the draft.

Reporter - Very good, very good (she says while writing down on her note pad in between giving me the eye) ... Mmhmm... Yep... So how do you feel about the draft? Are there any particular teams you're looking to sign up with? We know your sister plays for Munich, is that where you want to go? (She says this butting in a little and obviously picking up on the first sign of the word draft and swinging the conversation in that direction, but she's still giving me the eye so I let it go)

James - Well it would be pretty cool playing as brother and sister as D and G (respectively) but I am keeping my mind open to whichever team wants to pick me up.

Reporter - Mmhmm... Yeah... Do you think you'll be picked early?

James - I hope so, I just have to keep showing the guys what I can do and hopefully they'll pick up on that and try to sign me. And ho-

Reporter - As early as Paul Wheeler do you think? (This one not quite as easy to let go, not only was I clearly in the middle of saying something but the slight humour in her voice seemed slightly belittling, I had to respond in kind)

James - Oh, him? Forget he's playing half the time! *Shrug*

Reporter - What?

James - I mean err... (overshot it a little bit) he's a very good player, good prospect for whichever team gets him and he's a really cool dude! (Said in that "cool" voice you have to make whenever you say the words "cool" and "dude" next to each other. She seems less and less impressed). He's a fellow Brit, even if he does come from the midlands. (This hunour is lost on her, taking my cues I start to wrap it up). But yeah, top guy..

Reporter - Err... yeah... well anyway, best of luck in the tournament and the draft. Bye now.

After an awkward pause I realised she wasn't actually going anywhere, just waiting for someone else to talk to and I was still waiting for my lift so we just stood about 20 feet apart waiting. She waits there waiting, every couple of seconds standing on her tippy toes to find anyone else. Eventually she give up and said something about "not getting the story of anyone who'll get a headline" and "this happens every time" to her understudy and they took off. Relief swept over me and I took a long sigh of relief after they left.
Almost immediately after Paul walks out of the building, says hi, tips his hat for a good game and after a little small talk he dashes off. I high fived my inner child for an immature comment about the reporter, her timing and how she smells just before my lift arrived. I went home with a smirk on my face that night.

The next day I checked the local newspaper, out of curiosity and vanity more than anything. In the sports section there was a report of the match and interviews with some of the players. In what seemed to be more like a foot note than anything else it said "Thomas James also stated he was looking forward to being drafted and hopes to play infront of his sister Becky in Munich"... Figures...

No comments:

Post a Comment